SEO can be essential for small businesses operating online – whether completely or partially. Getting noticed on the web usually starts with attracting the attentions of search engines; high rank means customers, or at least, potential customers. The top three or four results in most search engines are those that get the clicks. If you’re going to make it online, that’s where you need to be. Many new businesses will face a simple choice: in-house SEO or outsourced SEO. Here’s a look at the advantages and disadvantages to both approaches.
In House SEO Approaches and Advantages
- The DIY approach to SEO gives you control over your strategy, your keywords and your campaigns. If you have enough SEO knowledge to get by on, it’s not a bad idea. It can be a lot of work but the in-house approach can save you cash.
- If you’re in a position to hire an in-house SEO expert, you’ll be able to make the most of their skills and they’ll have access to your industry knowledge. Most agencies work on a vast range of industry sectors and may not be experts in your area. By employing an expert to work with you, you can ensure that they are focussed on your own business area.
In House Disadvantages
- If you’re doing your own SEO you’ll appear to save money. However, it’s a time consuming, potentially full-time consuming, role and this needs to be added to your weekly workload to come up with an hourly rate you’ve earned. You might find your on minimum wage before you know it.
- SEO can involve some steep learning curves. There’s no harm in this, as you learn you’ll become more efficient and expert at the work, reducing the mistakes you make. However, it could be a long time before you’ve actually picked up the tricks of the trade – by which point they’ll have changed.
Agencies and Outsourcing
- This is the ideal route if you aren’t an SEO expert. The agency will have the expertise needed to quickly create a strategy and implement it for you. You’ll have a say in the process but the hard work is taken out of the equation.
- You’ll have the advantage of extra staff without them running off with the biscuits and drinking all the tea. Effectively employing an agency is like having staff, without the hassle. Most agencies will have several areas of expertise, including the actual SEO bit, copywriting, social media experts and even design professionals.
- Cost looms large in the minds of most businesses people. Employing an agency will cost, although you have control over what and when you spend. There’s an old saying about what sort of workers you get if you pay peanuts. Like all old sayings it’s based on hard facts. With an experienced agency, the costs will bring substantial financial returns.
- The internet is all about communication, SEO and copywriting agencies are founded on communication. Good communication is essential to working well with an agency. You’ll need to have an understanding of what you want to achieve, and be prepared to take into account any advice you are given. SEO miracles do not normally happen overnight and communicating effectively will mean both sides are clear on goals and expectations.
The content of your site is the most important part of your SEO strategy. Experts can help to create useful, engaging and trustworthy content that will appeal to search engines and the flesh and blood type of user. It is often a big investment but it is one that shouldn’t be skimped on. Communication with virtual customers relies on the best web content, SEO strategies and in-depth knowledge of both, for those new to the online trading world, it’s an investment that should be considered before all others.
Copywriting agencies can help to achieve high rankings and get your business noticed. For many the choice between a DIY approach and sourcing a reliable agency can be a difficult choice. However, investing in a good SEO agency can pay dividends in the future and leave you free to concentrate on your own area of expertise.